The National Association of Estate Agents (NAEA) recently commissioned the Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) to produce The Bricks Report, which among other things looked the number of bricks required for the average home and the total bricks required to meet the perceived shortfall in houses in the UK.
The CEBR calculated that the average home today requires 5,180 bricks to build and that there has been a shortfall of 264,000 houses in the last decade. Thus they have arrived at a figure of 1.4 billion bricks required to 'resolve' the UK housing shortage.
Other Key Highlights of the Bricks Report
- The average size of a new home in 2016 is 82.6 square metres
- The size of the average new home has decreased by 9.3% in the past decade and by almost half since 1920
- People in the UK have less floor space per capita than most other developed countries
- UK Household growth exceeded increases in dwelling stock by over 264,000 units in the decade 2006 to 2016
- Skills shortages and brick shortages could be significant constraints on house building
- 1.4 billion bricks would be required to build the houses required to meet the shortfall in building homes over the last decade
It seems everyone agrees that we need to build more homes - developers, builders, potential home owners and politicians. However, how much more capacity can the industry accommodate? With a skills shortage and potentially a shortage of materials like bricks, it might be some time before supply of new houses meets demand.
You can see the full Bricks Report on the NAEA web site.
About Blayze Group
Blayze Group helps transform organisations and gain competitive advantage by sourcing, securing and developing the people that property and construction businesses need to grow and prosper.
Established in 2002, Blayze Group is an award-winning recruitment consultancy in the property and construction sector, providing tailored services to clients through specialist teams, each dedicated to and experienced in their particular discipline.
Today Blayze Group is a leading recruitment partner working with organisations in Architecture, Construction, Consulting, Energy, Engineering, Financial Services and Sales and Marketing sectors. It counts most of the leading residential and commercial developers, construction firms and real estate consultancies among its client base.